I've had this phone for 9 months now after having both the Galaxy S3 and S5 previously. I can say that it did move forward a couple of steps in improvements but fail back in many other instances.
1) As far as phones go, it is certainly aesthetically pleasing
2) The camera takes some really nice pictures and blows the pictures taken with the S5 completely away
1) The S6 no longer have a non-removable battery and the battery life is just terrible. I constantly have to have the phone on the charger if I'm not using it. Sure, it will charge fast, but the fact that I have to charge at least 2-3 times a day is an incredible nuisance
2) The S6 also no longer supports SD cards. As someone who has a large music collection, this is a big problem since I could easily store my songs on an SD card and not take up space on my phone. But on the S6, I ended up getting the 64GB and am constantly running out of space. It would be much easier for me if I could just put a card in instead of investing in the 128GB version for a lot more money
3) The phone is not water proof. This was such a great feature of the previous Galaxies, that you didn't have to worry about dropping them into the water, but they decided to remove this awesome feature as well (though I believe you can get it in the Sports version of the phone)
4) The edge, yes it is cool looking, but it really isn't worth the extra cash as it functionally adds very little to the phone. There is a clock that stays on the edge, which I actually like, but for some unknown reason they restrict this feature so that you can't have it visible for more than 12 hours a day. I just don't get it
5) The Gorilla Glass is over-rated. Let me start by saying, I have had several smart phones previous to the Edge, and have never before cracked a screen. Yet, there is a large crack on the screen and the crazy thing is I don't even know where it came from. All I know, is I was on a cruise, put the phone in the safe, and when I got it out the screen was cracked. I assume that something pressed down on it and broke it, but based on the videos all over YouTube it should be able to withstand a hit from a hammer so the pressure from some other object should have had no chance of cracking the screen, yet my phone is sporting a visibly ugly crack
6) You can't turn off the feature that turns on the camera from the lock screen. This sounds like a cool feature, but I am sick of getting pictures of the inside of my pockets because the damn thing decided to turn on. It doesn't take two seconds to unlock the phone and immediately pull up the camera, why am I forced to have it on my locked screen?
7) Another thing that really annoys me is the message that pops up when I try to turn my media volume all the way up telling me that listening to music at high volumes is bad for my ears. This would make sense if I plugged in headphones, but I am sending my music to a BluTooth device where I actually control the volume. Why the hell can I choose not to see this message? What makes it doubly bad on my Edge is that for some reason this message keeps causing my phone to lock up forcing me to restart several times before I can finally operate my phone. This may just be a bug with my phone, but it doesn't change the fact that the message should be able to be turned off. I am grown man, I don't need my phone nagging me like it's my mother
As you can see my cons far outweigh my cons and I could never recommend it to anyone. I am saddened because I really wanted to like this phone because it is pretty, but I have had such a bad experience that there is no way I could justify sticking with the Galaxy series going forward.
If I want to press a number on the number pad while on the phone I have to take my ear away from the phone the phone will just hang up. If I'd like to browse the internet on the phone I better not be touching the edge of the phone or else I will have absolutely zero control over my internet search. I am unable to use this device with MHL to hook up to a television and watch shows that I have on my phone. To summarize everything the Galaxy S6 Edge is bad at making calls, bad at browsing the web, and incapable of doing things my older devices could do.
Don't mistake me. This is a very good smart phone. But there are some downsides to consider before getting swept up in the cool factor like I did. Probably deserves 3 stars but nobody reads those reviews.
CellBy.com offers a wide selection of high quality Galaxy S6 Edge cases and accessories., Including Leather Cases, Cartoon Cases Flip Covers, Screen Protectors and More Cell Phone Accessories and Samsung Cases.set custom HTML